[optacon-l] Re: Optacon List Archives

  • From: Mallard <mallard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 20:05:34 +0100

Well... At least in David's case it was "The Authorities"... Here in
Italy it was the organisations for the blind that got in teh way of
spreading the Optacon, although not everywhere in the country.
Here the National Health Service pays (or should I say paid???) for many
aids for the disabled, totally or partially. There was a list of
approved aids, including braille diaplsys, watches, thermometers, you
name it... But the Optacon was never included, because the organisations
for the blind were afraid it would "kill" braille.
Right... So, what did they do to protect braille onlya few years later?
Nothing of nothing. They promoted audio all along, with the result that
now even children can hardly read or write braille.

This makes me mad, and I keep raising my voice against such shame, but
apparently I'm one of few - once again Cassandra...
Nevermind eh... I'm used to it by now...
Ciao,
Ollie