[muglo] Re: searches

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:19:57 -0500

At 11:50 AM -0500 11/13/02, Eric D. wrote:

>on 12/11/02 20:58, Mary at iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>>  They are indeed grabbing the .ca.
>>
>>  Do you know how Google does that, Joe?
>
>They do a "DNS (domain name server) lookup" on your IP address. [..]

Yeah, thanks much, Joe and Eric, for additional info on this.

But, as I understand it, there is a clarification to be made. What I
am hearing from you is that IP address lookup will reveal the
location/region for your *ISP*, right? Then, an assumption (not
always valid) is made about your location based on this.

Nevermind replying, I'm just musing about this. I know it's kinda boring.

Mary

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>