[muglo] Re: Safari sunstroke?

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:17:56 -0500

>I think it's only a matter of time before MS discontinue support of Mac
>IE - as they have already done for Outlook Express for OSX.  The
>writing is on the wall

I think you're right :-(

... though, don't they have a version of IE in their MSN for Mac software?

>I find so many browsers coming from the same source confusing. Are you
>saying that Camino was designed for Mac Users ?

Yes, Camino is a 100% Mac app. It uses the Mozilla HTML rendering engine but
conforms to *nearly* all the Mac GUI rules since the interface is Aqua.
FireBird is the future of Mozilla but the version we have on the Mac side is
the same as what you get on Windows (cross-platform GUI) so it's
sub-standard (for us Mac users). The future development plans for Moz are to
split the browser from composer from e-mailer which is why you now see
FireBird being actively developed.

What would be best for Mac is if the Camino and FireBird teams join (on the
Mac) (with Camino responsible for GUI issues and FireBird responsible for
the underlying code).

>Thankyou  for this grading .  Omniweb is also appealing to me - can you
>explain want KDE means please . Will this threaten the future of it for
>Mac users do you think ?  It urks me to have to shell out for software
>which Apple could/should have built in with the system.  Ditto
>regarding the Mail programme which is equally buggy. Am exploring
>Thunderbird as a bought alternative - or GyazMail.

KDE is the HTML display engine that comes from Linux that Apple uses in
Safari and that OmniWeb now uses as well.  Nope, no threat to its future. If
anything, it solidifies the future of OmniWeb since KDE is being actively
developed by a lot of people (who don't like Netscrape/Mozilla b/c of the
bloat of the application and the rendering engine). Thus, when KDE gains
features, OmniWeb gains features. When Apple improves KDE in Safari OmniWeb
benefits (& Apple has a much larger R&D budget than OmniWeb).

>And yet, as I understand it, Netscape forms the basis for Safari ?

Nope, KDE does. Mozilla (its HTML display rendering engine) forms the basis
for Netscape (6 & 7), FireBird, Camino and a number of others (which I don't
know). Mozilla comes from Netscape Communicator 4.7 (Netscape released the
software into the public domain in 1999 (or was it 1998?) and named the
project Mozilla)

KDE on the otherhand is *entirely* independent of either AOL/Netscape or IE
and comes from the Linux world. It's the display engine used on most (if not
all) Linux-only browsers and has a major advantage over Mozilla in that the
code is really compact and relatively free from historical issues (compare
the size of Camino to Safari to get a sense of size "efficiency").

>And certainly the Firebird overnight updates and general level of
>support and active development  by the Mozilla crowd seem to be in
>another world compared with the help from Apple that disgruntled Safari
>users obtain ?

Well, you'll have to judge for yourself. Safari is pretty stable (about as
stable as you can get on a mac). You'll find that FireBird will regularly
suffer from unstable builds. Features are what should decide what you need.
Don't look to FireBird (yet) for stability ;-)... look to it for things that
Safari can't give you.

>This seems to relate to my other question for you - which is the best ,
>long term option for Mac Users?

All of them! Keep'em all around. I have uses for all of them except for
OmniWeb which never really caught my attention and FireBird b/c it's too
unstable compared to Mozilla 1.5 and Netscrape b/c I have about as strong a
hatred for AOheLl's as I do Micro$erf's business practices and Mozilla does
a better job than Netscape anyway (they're basically the same app).

>My inclination in starting with OSX was to try to stick with native
>Apple applications which (mistakenly ?) I feel would have been made
>more compatible with the Unix base ?
>Now I'm beginning to wonder.

Safari is the slickest of the simple browsers. Camino could be slicker but
it's less stable. Want something more complex, try Mozilla or Netscape or
even FireBird but you sacrifice stability and simplicity.

>Yes  I've heard of it -but couldn't open my downloaded copy . Will try
>again.  But I'm reluctant to rely on a small outfit which may not
>survive - or be bought out by the bigger sharks, and discontinued.  I'm
>wanting long term security  - if such is conceivable in the software
>world  :-)

iCab has been around LONGER than EVERYTHING currently out. IE is
discontinued. Mozilla and Netscape have very little in common with Netscape
Communicator and suffered from a lack of development for years. OmniWeb and
Safari only came on the scene with OS X. iCab has been faithful to the Mac
faithful and has consistently and constantly been releasing updates. He (the
one man show) has been a shining light in the otherwise checkered past of
Mac browsers. I've been using iCab since 1998 and still do everyday
(AppleScripted page downloads). Also, iCab has an extensive repertoir of
AppleScript commands.

<http://www.icab.de>

Let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy. Also, make sure you d/l Stuffit
8.0.3!

Eric

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca