[muglo] Re: Router Question

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:13:51 -0400

On 8/23/05, Tim Kearn <timmer21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, Eric - that is exactly how you described it.
> The connection is okay now - only had to take out 'Sympatico' in the serv=
ice
> section (it was labelled optional)!
> But, what I am wondering is my download times are slow! Almost reminds me=
 of
> dial-up at times.
> I have tried using just the DSL modem, no router, and downloads are norma=
l.
> Do I need to configure the router?
> Tim

Not AFAIK but, then again, I've never compared modem alone vs. modem +
router (in my case I have my modem set to "dumb" mode and have the
router doing the PPPoE work).

I don't see any compelling reason why the router would slow down the
browsing unless it's having problems with DNS (not likely).

I suspect the "service" section is nothing more than window dressing
to remind you (though, it could be that the modem takes its cue from
the service section and sets settings according to its in-built
configuration (and, Sympatico almost certainly won't be part of it).

Eric.