[muglo] Re: Router Question

  • From: Tim Kearn <timmer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:19:35 -0400

Thanks Dave.
My answers will be under your questions.
Tim

On 8/27/05, Dave Bonhoff <gtidave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, right now I have more questions for you.
>=20
> You are connecting to the router with an ethernet cable.  Okay, that
> is simple enough.  Do you use this port anywhere else?  Do you KNOW
> that it works?
I use the port with the iBook. I know it works because it is fine with
just the DSL modem.

> What network settings are you using?  "Automatic" or something else
> that you've configured? - should be easy enough to create another
> connection profile that uses ethernet only and is configured for DHCP.
It is set to automatic. I didn't do another profile because I was
having problems connecting. I am not sure what the settings would be
for another profile.
=20
> Are you trying to use Internet Connect to establish a PPPoE
> connection?  - This should be handled by the router.
The network is set at DHCP and the router page is PPPoE.
=20
> Can you reliably access the set-up web pages for the router? - If
> not, then you can't do anything else until you address the previous
> points.
I can. That was the problem before so I was having to reset it.

> If you can access the router's pages, has it established a connection
> to your provider? - check the status tab.
There is a connection. It drops without warning at times and only find
out when trying to access a web page.
On that note - is it best to keep the DSL modem and router on all the time?
=20