[AR] Re: video of V-2 launch procedures

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 12:36:24 +0100

On 14/05/2019 06:26, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2019, Elliot Robert wrote:
Not that it matters but I'm curious. Are you saying Jews didn't build the
v2? I was under the impression that the v2's work force was entirely Jewish.

With the caveat that I haven't gone digging for details, yes, my understanding is that they were systematically excluded from this sort of high-level military project.  There seems to be a widespread misconception that essentially all concentration-camp inmates were Jewish, which is probably where the idea came from.  Not so.  They were the biggest group of "undesirables", but by no means the only one.

Russians were the biggest group of "undesirables". Depending on definitions, the Polish/Slav "untermenschen" were the second-biggest group, then the Jews. There were a lot more Slavs than Jews.

The Jews got the most thorough attention though. You would have had a much better chance of survival as a Slav (or even a Russian POW) than as a Jew in German occupied territory.

The death numbers between Poles and Jews are pretty even, 4.8 million total Poles vs 5.4 million total Jews * according to this (my) list - but reliable figures are not available, and eg quite a few people put the total (Jewish and non-Jewish) Polish death toll at 6.0 million:

Murdered by Germans:

6 million non-Jewish Russian civilians #
3.3 million Russian POWs
1.5 million Russian Jews

2.0 million Poles and Slavs  (non-Jewish)
2.8 million Polish Jews/Jewish Poles

0.4 million Hungarian Jews
0.7 million other Jews
0.5 million Serbs
0.3 million disabled
0.3 million Romani
0.2 million freemasons, homosexual men, Slovenes, Jehovah's Witnesses
0.1 million political, criminals

* yes, about 6 million Jews in total died - about 0.5 million other Jews were murdered as part of the "final solution" by Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Ukraine, etc, but not directly by Nazi Germany.

eg the 0.4 million Hungarian Jews mentioned in the main list were sent by Hungary to Germany to be killed, but the Hungarians also murdered (from memory) a couple hundred thousand off their own bat.

# plus a lot more Russians killed outside the pogroms

it seems funny to me that they'ed be ok with Gays and Communists working on their secret project but putting your foot down when Jews are turning the bolts.

I once saw a film which said there were many non-Jewish French slave workers on V2s, along with some Italians and a lot of Russians and Poles. There were some Jews later on, but almost none initially.

About 1/3 to 1/2 of the V2 slave workers died.

I can't find a ref offhand

Peter  F