[AR] Re: video of V-2 launch procedures

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 23:55:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 May 2019, Ken wrote:

...Very quaint but informative. Good thing they had an insane leader or we would be speaking German or be a lamp shade.

In fairness, the V-2 was a product of the insanity: Germany spent nearly as much on it as the US spent on the Manhattan Project, and the V-2's military value was zero. The same amount of money and effort spent on almost anything else -- e.g., faster development and higher production volume of the much-cheaper V-1 -- would have accomplished much more.

One consequence of the political insanity was that Nazi Germany had no systematic process for deciding whether a new idea was worth pursuing. If you could catch the attention of somebody big -- ideally Hitler -- you were golden even if your idea was garbage, and there was way too much of that. Any unbiased analysis of the V-2 would have concluded quickly that it should not proceed unless there were immediate prospects of either a much more accurate guidance system or a warhead much more lethal than high explosive.

The Allies had some of this too, but on a much smaller scale and so it didn't do major damage.

(And before concluding that we've left all that behind us, consider how much money is spent now on "black" projects, and how little independent scrutiny most of them probably get...)