[AR] Re: What happened to the Space Shuttle?

  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:52:44 -0500

On 7/19/2019 4:31 PM, Anton de Winter wrote:

Or more generally: what happens with all the technical documentation, blueprints, designs, rationales, etc after a system/program is retired at NASA?

Would it be possible for (say) a commercial/private entity to take the space shuttle design data, improve on the design, and put it into service again for profit?  If not, why?

    The big problem here isn't so much the various blueprints and technical documents being unavailable (for whatever reason), as the loss of "tribal knowledge."  There's a *lot* of critical information regarding how to build and/or operate a system like this that simply never gets written down, b/c it's hard to quantify.

    Case in point: not long ago, I worked on a project to change the production process for a major legacy airframe, that's been in continuous production for 30-40 years (I need to be deliberately vague here).  You'd *think* that, with the plane still in production, everyone would still have an understanding of the process.  That... wasn't the case.  The airframe was basically being built by rote memorization -- a real *understanding* of how/why many low-level parts of the production process worked, or were performed the way they were, was no longer available in the institutional memory (grey-matter, paper, or electronic).  At one point, they were hiring back a superannuated machinist who had already retired *twice* b/c that was the only person they could find who *understood* certain critical "whys" of the existing process.  And *that* knowledge is *critical* just to making (seemingly) minor changes to an existing process or product.  Much more so for trying to re-create a complex system where nearly all of tribal knowledge has been lost.

    Several experiences like this are the reason I tend to laugh semi-hysterically at people who say "all we need are the blueprints!"  There's just *so much more*....

    No, trying to re-create an old system is probably a net negative, although the old blueprints (and, more critically, the *production process* records) could make for valuable guidelines. The *real* gems in the NASA archives are (IMO) the decades of experiment and test results, which will generally include the critical bits of "why we tried this," "what didn't work," "why it didn't work," and (hopefully) "this is what *did* work and why."

    There's a surprising amount of stuff that works in aerospace engineering where no one really knows *why* it works -- someone with a huge R&D budget decades ago just kept throwing spaghetti at the wall until something stuck, worked out how to duplicate and productionize it, and then everyone just kept following the recipe (mostly blindly) for years or decades to come.