[AR] Re: What happened to the Space Shuttle?

  • From: J Farmer <jfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:42:39 -0400

On 7/24/2019 2:16 PM, David McMillan wrote:

On 7/22/2019 11:37 AM, Henry Spencer wrote:

And hoping that, e.g., none of their materials suppliers would change their products enough to mess things up.  (It's happened.)

   Or that the "critical specs" on some components don't create a time bomb for the next poor engineer.  I had that happen on a job for a major airframer, too -- they wanted to automate inserting hi-locks through the fuselage skin into the ribs and stringers, and installing and torquing down the nuts on the inside.  The *nuts* should have been the *easy* part -- after all, that's what wobble sockets were invented for, right?  This is a solved problem, with multiple off-the-shelf solutions in other industries.

    One *small* problem:  the customer got their nuts from three different suppliers.  And only spec'd the thread size, torque, shear strength, and *general* outer dimensions.  In production, the nuts were randomly mixed (they bought them by the barrel, almost literally).  And it turned out that each supplier made different choices for the *non-critical* dimensions of the nuts, which in turn was just enough difference to make it impossible to create a securely gripping wobble socket that could reliably hold all three varieties

I often  ran into showstoppers like that back in my days analyzing and designing  computer driven factory automation systems.  Many engineers, managers, and beancounters rarely understood how flexible and intelligence a typical worker has.

I had a potential client who wanted to lower his costs, particularly labor driven ones.  Aka, shrink his labor force... His remade rollers used in paper presses.  Had very definite standards for finished shape, surface, and balance.  The problem was incoming items.  Huge pieces of steel, with both the bearing and work surfaces worn semi-randomly.  He wanted to automate the process of inspection, prep grinding, surface buildup (weld process), regrind new bearing and work surfaces, and then balancing the roller.

He balked when I told him in a response letter that (in 1985 dollars), the first step of evaluating  off-the-shelf options and developing possible preliminary high level system designs was going to cost at least 30K.  He shutdown the entire idea when we got to the part of detailing new staffing requirements.  (Cut the size of his skilled labor group, but unskilled labor would go up, and adding several engineers and IT types.  Not to mention ongoing support and service contracts...).  He was going to invest serious money with a very stretched out ROI and little improvement in production or customer satisfaction...

Sometimes the right answer is a trained worker with a couple of sockets in his pouch...

John