[AR] Re: Igniter Popping Sound

  • From: Norman Yarvin <yarvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 00:03:03 -0400

Oh, duh.  I'd been looking at the third photo on your page; the second
photo gives a better idea of the spark plug location.

Still, moving the spark plug farther downstream does seem like a good
idea, whether you put it as you have (giving the propellants more time
to mix), or whether I have (making the mixture ratio seen by the spark
plug more deterministic); these are basically the same reason.

Having the propellants impinge on each other is common in main chamber
injectors, but in that case they're meeting at a relatively narrow
angle, so the result is fairly predictable: motion in much the same
direction they were injected at, but with mixing/splattering.  With
propellants meeting each other head-on, there's no predictability: one
might imagine ideally they'd splatter out in a sheet perpendicular to
both jets, but even with perfect machining that perfect meeting can
never really happen, due to eddies in the chamber pushing the jets
around before they make contact.  They might miss each other entirely
(though this would be more probable if they were two liquids; in your
case the oxygen is gaseous, so will spread out); the liquid jet might
punch through the gaseous jet; they might meet and glance off each
other.  This unpredictability can lead to oscillations.  Robert's
approach of not trying impinging, but just letting the ethanol jet
splatter against the opposite wall, seems better.  (Of course then you
get the oxygen flow hitting the wall, too, and thus should probably
adopt his countermeasure to this.  Or maybe put the oxygen orifice in
the end plate, so that it comes in axially to start with.)