[AR] Re: Igniter Popping Sound

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 06:22:40 -0500

Graham,
That is great news. I'm wondering if I didn't have similar issues since my igniter valve orifices are also 3/64" and the downstream orifice diameter is around 0.030. So I'm probably getting more pressure drop across the valve than I anticipated. So if I understand this correctly, the mixture is leaner then expected? Looking forward to seeing your videos.

-Bob

On 10/29/2014 07:36 AM, Graham Sortino (Redacted sender gnsortino@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s help with this. I finally (hopefully) figured out what the problem was. Unfortunately, it came down to me making an obvious mistake in hindsight. The max diameter of my solenoid valves, which control the propellant flow to the igniter is 3/64” (~0.047”) but I seemed to have forgotten that and was testing with orifice diameters that were slightly larger ~0.06”. So I was calculating flow rates based on a higher 0.06” orifice diameter but in reality the maximum diameter is 0.047”. I made another mistake, which was to measure flow rates at lower orifice diameters and then just calculate for higher diameters assuming the CD would be roughly the same. Had I actually measured at 0.06” I probably would have discovered the mistake sooner. What was frustrating about this is that I wouldn’t always get the popping sound but I believe what was happening is that some un-burnt fuel would get stuck in the pressure transducer line. This wouldn’t be a problem on the first few tests because there wasn’t enough of it but after a few runs it would build up enough to create a problem. To help with this I switched from using stainless steel braided hose to much smaller diameter copper tubing. This past Friday I had some really good tests with both a 3D printed (SLS) and my older aluminum igniter. I also had some pretty good initial tests with my 3D printed (again SLS) main rocket chamber. I will get this documented so that folks can see it in the next week or so. In the mean time I’m posting a link to some of the flow testing I did with a few charts that show CD and flow rates at different orifice diameters.
http://wiki.fubarlabs.org/FubarWiki/Default.aspx?Page=Propellant-Flow-Testing#More_Flow_Testing_Oct_CABE_5
From my experiences, I’ve found that measuring propellant flow rates has been the hardest part of building an engine so hopefully this helps others in similar situations.
Kind Regards,
Graham