[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 20:04:39 -0600

From Mojave I watched the Shuttle do venting of wastewater that they
did before deorbiting. Through good binoculars it was visible as a
cone projecting from the shuttle but it was too dim to be seen by the
naked eye. Other small venting operations would be similar.

This flight was unusual in how much propellant they had to vent. The
payload was about 600kg total but the rocket is rated for 13150kg to
LEO. Even with the performance hits of first stage relight and going
to polar orbit, the upper stage still had literal tons of propellant
on it.

In comparison, with its propellant sensors driving variable mixture
ratio, a full Centaur burn is left with well under 100 kg of
propellant onboard from a start of 20,830 kg.