[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: <johndom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:36:42 +0200

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0851Wkm9c

Nice clip showing 1D turbine exhaust.

jd

  _____

Van: arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Namens JMKrell@xxxxxxx
Verzonden: maandag 30 september 2013 4:04
Aan: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: [AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

I've been studying the Falcon 9r turbine exhaust port pattern. The
peripheral engine exhaust ports were moved inboard, the center engine
turbine exhaust is next to the engine and appears to have a collar, which
could be a deflector for roll control. Yes, it is only my supposition, but
that is how I would design the system for roll control. It is an easy
modification and carries a lower weight penalty than cold gas without a
reaction time limit in the event maximum design limits are exceeded.
Flipping the stage and settling the propellants would be a good application
for cold gas.

John Krell

In a message dated 9/29/2013 5:38:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wikkit@xxxxxxxxx writes:

They said they had cold gas. They had to in order to flip the stage
before relighting to do the braking burn, and to settle propellants.

The gimbals are hydraulic, so presumably they could lock all of the
non-restarting engines
in place just before shutting them down.

They said they only recovered pieces; unless the engine bay had some
big water-activated flotation it seems like ~9000lb of engines is the
least likely part for them to have gotten back. The ocean is 12-14kft
deep where the boats are wandering around.

This is why I really like two engines for vertical landing. It's handy
to have far more roll control authority than you need without it
costing you a bunch of dead weight in attitude control system.

Ben

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Lars Osborne <lars.osborne@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Peter is correct, there is no turbine exhaust for roll control on the M1D.

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WjOnSd0I1bc/UcygKKf6EHI/AAAAAAAAPyk/7o2y
HsQ9TJg/w1017-h848-no/shiny+merlin.jpg)

> I have no idea what they are doing for first stage ACS. Perhaps they had
> none for this one, and may use aerodynamic control surfaces on the legs in
> the future.
>
> Thanks,
> Lars Osborne
>

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Peter Yu <peterxyu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the Merlin 1Ds don't have turbine exhaust vectoring.
>> There's only ACS (could be cold gas thrusters or Draco).
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM, <JMKrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Peripheral engine symmetry is critical for roll control in a single
>>> engine landing. Control arm breakage or an engine position shift during
>>> engine forward reentry could be disastrous.
>>>
>>> John Krell
>>>

>>> In a message dated 9/29/2013 3:35:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>>> ianmga@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>>
>>> Yes

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2013/09/29/falcon-9-launch-payloads-orbit-vanden
berg/