[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 14:25:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
> > SpaceX continues to say it didn't happen.
>
> More specifically, SpaceX says ".. our data confirms there was no
> rupture of any kind on the second stage."

As witness SpaceX's reporting on the engine explosion a year ago, you need
to read their statements about mishaps *very* critically, with careful
attention to exact wording.  E.g., last year they said (roughly) "the
control system noticed falling chamber pressure and issued a shutdown
command to the engine"; they did *not* say "the engine was still running
properly until it shut down on command", but many people jumped to that
conclusion.  I expect this was precisely their intent.

I find it interesting that this time, they keep saying "rupture" instead
of "explosion"; this strikes me as odd but I haven't yet spotted what
conclusion it's meant to make me jump to. :-)

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)