[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:17:20 -0700

On 10/1/2013 9:44 AM, Jonathan Goff wrote:
Henry,

A few thoughts:

1- SpaceX is claiming that they've analyzed the data, and that there was
no explosion. Take that with the size of NaCl crystal you feel is most
appropriate.

SpaceX's statement was "no reason to believe there was an explosion", while Elon's tweet seemed more definite, "There Was No Falcon 9 Explosion". As I indicated, I understand, and even sympathize with, the powerful incentives for an operator to indulge in semantic tap-dancing in such matters. The mainstream press's immediate and un-nuanced reaction to "explosion" here only illustrates the point.

I do note that SpaceX still seems to be saying that the one first-stage engine didn't "explode" on that previous flight, even though their eventual report does make it clear that the chamber split open and released several cubic feet of ~1000 psi hot gas near instantaneously. As I said, semantic tap-dancing is understandable and to be expected.

2- Many of the secondary payloads were multi-piece. IIRC, there were
something like 12 pieces expected to be floating around there and only
13 of the 20 or 21 pieces had multiple sightings to very they weren't
false positives. So there's still a real chance that there weren't
unexpected pieces thrown off.

It's plausible that the multi-object space track data is preliminary and may well look very different soon. OTOH, the indications that stage venting may have been, um, rapid and omnidirectional, seem thus far unaddressed.

3- If there was some sort of unplanned disassembly, the biggest issue
SpaceX had been running into had been with the M1-Vac nozzle extension.
If something failed, it may have been the nozzle extension itself. If it
failed in some unsymmetrical way that might have made it impractical to
try relighting the engine.

It'll be interesting to see what we find out when we have more data to
go with our speculation. :-)

Agreed entirely. As I've said, on the whole the first flight of F9R was by historic standards a triumph. Anomalies after the payloads are gone are interesting but far less immediately critical.

Henry V

~Jon

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Henry Vanderbilt
<hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 10/1/2013 8:42 AM, Rand Simberg wrote:
     > SpaceX is denying it, claiming that initial tracking data is always a
     > little flaky.  And what could cause an explosion?  It has no
    hypergolics
     > on it, AFAIK.

    A quick search gives numerous references to the F9 second stage
    using four Draco hypergolic engines for reaction control.  Said
    quick search showed nothing about that having been eliminated for
    this new version, FWIW.

    Regardless, an obvious non-RCS candidate for a second-stage
    explosion here would be a severe hard (re)start of the second-stage
    main engine. (Purely speculative at this point, but clean restarts
    of LOX-kero engines depend considerably on complete purging of
    kerosene from engine passages after the first run.  There is a
    strong incentive to minimize use of purge gas in a flight vehicle in
    order to minimize the mass of pressure bottles carried along, and
    thus to implement the minimum purge that works reliably on a test
    stand.   But kerosene is in general difficult to purge, and such
    purging quite plausibly may not work the same way in free-fall and
    vacuum as it does at 1 G on a test stand.  As I said though, purely
    speculative at this point.)

    Another more generic possibility here is damage to the second stage
    occurring at payload separation - not of course then an issue for
    missions requiring a second burn before payload separation.

    I would only conclude at this point that the problem was not a
    subtle one, given SpaceX's statement that they already know what it
    is and don't expect any trouble fixing it.

    In general, I don't at all blame SpaceX for minimizing comment on
    the matter till more data is in.  Rocket operators in general go a
    long way out of their way to avoid ever using the word "explosion"
    in connection with their operations, and for good reason.  But in
    this case, between the new orbital object distribution spotted and
    the South African spherical-venting-cloud photos, I'd have to say a
    stage explosion is a distinct possibility.

    Henry V

        On 10/01/2013 07:41 AM, Henry Spencer wrote:

            Another little fly in the ointment:
              <http://www.zarya.info/blog/?__p=1595
            <http://www.zarya.info/blog/?p=1595>>
            reports indications that the Falcon 9 second stage may have
            exploded in
            orbit, although after payload separation.  Which is not as
            bad as having
            it happen with payloads still on board, but certainly isn't
            good news.

            Henry Spencer

            henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

            (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>)