[AR] Re: reusability and reliability (was Re: Re: Congratulations, Bill...)

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:36:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, George Herbert wrote:
> Reentry TPS could have failed on either, but the details of how it failed
> depended on reusable design.

Or alternatively, on a "reusable" having major expendable components that
could not be flight-tested, so debugging had to depend on making them
identical... which failed.  (Up to and including the very last flight,
even after the post-Columbia fixes, ETs frequently lost substantial
chunks of foam from semi-random places.)

> SRB burnthrough...  Unrelated to design mode, but prompted by the
> reusability (stuck with SRBs when budget failed to come through and size /
> performance specs were already committed, roughly).

I would say quite strongly related to design mode, as above -- debugging
was greatly hampered by the use of semi-expendable components.  Each SRB
was a one-shot expendable assembly (with some reusable components) that
could not be flight-tested or even static-tested before flight.  Even if
all SRBs had been identical, they were too expensive to expend the number
needed for a thorough test campaign.

Compare to the Saturn V, where engines for an expendable rocket were
required to be qualified for 20 starts and half an hour of operation --
numbers approximate, references aren't handy -- just so they could be
tested before their one and only flight.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)