[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: JMKrell@xxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 17:27:36 -0400 (EDT)

Ben,

Henry notes that most of the venting is LOX. Ionizing  radiation quickly
converts oxygen to monatomic radicals. Monatomic  oxygen does etch the
surfaces of satellites as they pass through the cloud, but  this is a nuisance
compared to shrapnel from a ruptured tank. The  pressurizing gas in the RP-1
tanks is vented, but little RP-1. Venting tons of  RP-1 would pose a coating
hazard to satellite optics and sensors. Upon  venting most of the RP-1
solidifies like your  YouTube example and then sublimes at a very slow rate.

John Krell

In a message dated 10/7/2013 12:58:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wikkit@xxxxxxxxx writes:

On Mon,  Oct 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Vented propellant would be a hazard to other traffic only if  that other
> traffic passed very close to the venting stage soon after  venting.  The
> vented propellant spreads out fast, and eventually  blends into the
> surrounding atmosphere.  (Note also that much of  what is vented from a
> Falcon upper stage is LOX.)

There would  have been a small impulse if something flew through the
cloud when it was  dense, just as one of the schemes for deorbiting
space junk is to put up a  suborbital cloud of dense dust in front of
the junk. I don't have software  that could search for conjunctions in
any reasonable amount of time,  though.

The LOX would have contributed to the particle cloud with the  RP-1.
Pulling vacuum on liquid nitrogen will create solid nitrogen, as  can
be demoed in the lab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy1_R2u1UKk  Same
is true for oxygen. The oxygen ice crystals wouldn't last long  in
sunlight, but it wouldn't have gone straight to gas from the  rocket.

Ben