[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 07:49:56 -0700

Spent upper stages left in orbit these days in general have their leftover propellants vented, to prevent the stages eventually exploding and adding to the orbital debris problem.

Vented propellants in orbit will tend to disperse rapidly to densities too low to do much other than provide a free show if the extremely diffuse cloud happens to be in sunlight while it's dark on the ground below. Several tons of kerosene dispersed over a 108-mile sphere has a an effective density of zero for most practical purposes.

Henry

On 10/6/2013 11:57 PM, qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
These maybe some dumb questions, but, 1) does this mean that they will
be venting
all the time if the don't get the rocket to relight? And 2), does
venting present a
danger to satellites or other rockets, considering it's fuel?

Robert

At 11:14 PM 10/6/2013, you wrote:
I wasn't so much a source as the instigator. As far as I know from the
blogs and news sites that I watch, I was the first one in English to
point out the cloud and definitely show from orbital parameters that
the UFO was the Falcon 9's cloud.

I know Alan Boyle in real life, I guess he saw my post about it and
thought it was worth a story.

With some further work on other images I found that the propellant
cloud was 108 miles wide.
http://wikkit.tumblr.com/post/63351208465/how-big-was-the-cloud-of-propellant-from-the

Ben

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Nathan Mogk <nm8911@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I like how Ben Brockert was included as a source on this article.
You must
> do a good job of getting your blog out there, Ben.
>

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Henry Vanderbilt
> <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hmm, yes, a very interesting possibility.  A hard start can be
violent
>>> enough to do damage, e.g. by the acceleration transient, without
actually
>>> *bursting* anything.  (Gemini 6's Agena target was lost due to a hard
>>> start that damaged control electronics.)

>>> If (dim) memory serves, there is at least one expendable item
(igniter
>>> hypergol cartridge?) needed for a start on the Merlin, and the
engine has
>>> fittings for only two of them, so two starts is all it's good for
without
>>> human attention.  So the immediate propellant venting might not be
>>> significant -- indeed, might have been pre-programmed -- because they
>>> weren't going to be able to try again anyhow.
>>>
>>> Although, hmm.  They said the stage "underwent a controlled
venting of
>>> propellants".  In the spirit of hermeneutical analysis (read
Arocket and

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/ufo-over-indian-ocean-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-sparks-sightings-4B11297922,