[optacon-l] Re: R1D vs Optacon 2

  • From: "C. Pond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 20:58:44 -0400

Actually, the crispness of the image is not due to the number of pins.  A
well conditioned optacon 2 can feel more crips than a dull R1D.  Many
factors can affect the crispness of a display's image, and it is a science
and an art to improve an optacon's performance for certain.  If the 24 chips
embedded in the R1D display are about to bite, the display can also have
that lack of crispness, and then what does one do?  I have for instance good
bimorphs and dead chips; I have good chips and bad bimorphs.  Rebuilding a
display would take enough of an engineer
s time and effort that one wonders--asside from the unique usefulness of the
device--if it is worth it financially.  Lots of work indeed.

The image on the optacon 2 is not digitally processed as we think of in
today's terms; the chips act as a nice big switchboard.  However, in earlier
models the dacs and adcs which controlled the threshold, the intensity and
other factors were both too slow and had too few bits to properly allow the
camera to track and the image to keep up with the reader (well, maybe it
could keep up with my reading).  This was to some extend but never
completely addressed in later models of the optacon 2.

Charles