[optacon-l] Re: More frame designs

  • From: reinoud <rrreinoud@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 13:18:31 +0100

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your kind words.

Testing is obviously important and there are EU/UK mailing list members willing
to help out with this (thank you!), but I don't have a group of testers at hand
right here. Will ask around locally once there's a suitable test setup.

One of the first (test) applications is scanning computer screens/images.
That's easy enough to do and allows for testing with all kinds of data. Even
cameras can be used, although latency (delay) will probably be too high for
many uses.

BTW, I intend to offer some manually built early devices shortly at nominal
cost, I'm calculating costs now. That would enable anyone to support
development and test these things locally.

When looking for an Oehm Electronics website I found pictures by 'ednixon' at
smugmug, which I guess shows you with a lot of equipment? That looks eerily
like the stuff I had years ago. You appear to do RF work, I have been doing
embedded low-power RF development. Can you read that (storage) scope with an
Optacon? And the beautiful vintage audio equipment... I used to keep some
vacuum-tube era Swiss made stuff running (Studer-Revox D36 tape deck, Thorens
TD124 turntable). Nice!

Let's keep in touch,

- Reinoud

On 03/06/15 01:46, Richard Oehm wrote:

Hello Reinoud,
This is Richard Oehm from Oehm Electronics. Your work on tactile
displays is very impressive and I commend you for your efforts. I have
been following your work and development as well as that of Charles
Pond with interest. Since these display designs represent a
significant departure from the familiar tactile array of the Optacon,
I'm curious, how do you plan to beta test these tactile display
designs? Have you assembled a group of blind Electronic Braille users
and Optacon users to conduct these necessary beta tests? What types of
tactile presentations will you use when conducting these tests?
Once again, I commend you on your incredible efforts and work. I will
continue to follow your progress as well as any progress made by
Charles Pond. I look forward to your discoveries and innovations.

Tell your friends about the list. They can subscribe by sending a message to: