[muglo] Re: Storage

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:14:23 -0500

I forgot to add, since I'm ranting about Mac prices already, you could
always go buy an iPOD with firewire and use it to store your files as well!

BTW, seems the trend of using iPODs to swipe software is getting much worse.
With a 60GB iPOD, you can walk into any Mac Reseller and download the entire
contents of their demo machines over firewire in just a minute or less! A US
retailer reported over 500 incidents nation-wide (and those are just the
ones they know about) in a single day when Panther was launched!

Kathryn:

Which laptop are you using? Can the CD-drive be hot-swapped for a floppy?
Some can.

Other than that, you can buy a USB external floppy (very small and light)
for around $110.00.

Does your portable have a PCMCIA drive? You can get Compact Flash disks up
to 128MB B for around $75.00. This would be my choice as Compact disks are
pretty much plug-and-play with any portable or PDA if you buy the 19.00
adaptor that the flash fits into so it can go directly into any PCMCIA slot

Given that floppies and CDs are about the same price these days, I would
just use CDs (Office Max has them on sale right now at 100 for $49.00) or
even buy the more expensive "rewritable" CDs so just a couple could last you
a long time.

Given the price of "zips", I would never go that route