[muglo] Storage

  • From: Kathryn-Jane Hazel <k.j.hazel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:30:47 -0800

Dear Muglo-ites:

Now that I have a laptop that takes CDs rather than floppies, I need a
different way of saving  my files.

I  have had several suggestions from many quarters, and am trying to
make up my mind as to which is best.

I do mostly word-processing, and like to save my files every day, so
saving to CDs is not an option, except for when I am finally finished
with a piece of writing - which is almost never.

I've been told that zip disks are on the way out, so that's no good.

The latest suggestion is that I get an external Firewire hard drive,
because it basically acts as a large floppy disk.  If that's the case,
I'm all for it. What does it look like? How much would it cost?

I was also told that I might be able to set up iSync so that a given
intervals, which I would set, my computer would synchronize any changed
files and back up only those that had changes.  Is that possible, or
can that only take place between two computers?

At any rate, the external hard drive sounds like the best solution for
me. Hope it's not too expensive!

Cheers,

Kathryn