[muglo] Re: Storage

  • From: Barry Takayesu <prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:48:01 -0500

>Dear Muglo-ites:
>
>Now that I have a laptop that takes CDs rather than floppies, I need a
>different way of saving  my files.
>
>The latest suggestion is that I get an external Firewire hard drive,
>because it basically acts as a large floppy disk.  If that's the case,
>I'm all for it. What does it look like? How much would it cost?
>
>I was also told that I might be able to set up iSync so that a given
>intervals, which I would set, my computer would synchronize any changed
>files and back up only those that had changes.  Is that possible, or
>can that only take place between two computers?
>
>At any rate, the external hard drive sounds like the best solution for
>me. Hope it's not too expensive!

Kathryn:

You didn't mention how much storage you need - although your
inference to floppy drive suggests that you only need minimal storage
- and text without artwork takes little space.

One item to look at would be the "Pen" drives. (I just came across
Rob Vanhooren's post and think the Pen & Key Drive might be the same
device). These are about 3 inches long and less than half the width
of a business card and have USB connectivity (so no other power
source is needed). No drive software to install - just plug in and it
shows up on your desktop as another drive. OS Compatibility: Mac OS 9
and X, Windows XP, ME, 2000, and 98. Capacities go up to 1Gb - but at
that size, it is expensive.

Barry Takayesu
Prestige Print & Graphics
10592 Wellington Road * St.Thomas, ON  Canada  N5P 3T1
(519) 631-8800 * Fax (519) 631-6316
prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx