[muglo] Re: Communicating with Windoze

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:48:55 -0500

I find the "big 3" (word, excel & power-point) essential apps whether on my
Mac or PC. You may hate it, but they are the standard most-used apps (other
than e-mail). I have both office packages for classic and OS-X and I have
never run into compatibility issues nor spent time with cut-and-paste.

The one thing that is changing a bit for me is I'm seeing more and more
requests for Keynote... My customers like the look of the canned templates
better and since they can be saved as ppt files, compatibility has not been
an issue.

AS for the rest of this thread, my experiences with all Mac OS before X was
horrible. I was getting 3-4 crashes a day with 8.x and 9.x: kinda reminded
me of the reliability of Win95! I've always been surprised by the support
Mugloites have for what is (IMO at least) at best an unreliable operating
systems that continuously crashes, and loses work, time and money.

Without OS-X, I'd have given up on Mac long time ago. Today I find 10.2 to
be the equal of XP... Both are incredibly stable/reliable.

My only real issue is the same as many of you... The cost of converting
"classic" apps to OS-X... I can't understand why, if today,  I go buy a new
PC today, I'll pay at least 40% less than Mac, get similar if not better
(for me at least, the G5 Jury is still out on this) performance. Damn! I
wish I didn't like my Mac so much... $2500+ for a base model G5 not
including the software I really need), when for $1200 I can get a new P4
with XP, Office, and even "ilife" thrown in. My guess is that we've been so
well trained by Apple, Adobe, etc. to EXPECT to pay through the nose for
applications that there's no reason for this to change.

Yes, Beta was MUCH better than VHS but did it matter in the long run? I fear
for those of you not going to OS-X that you will soon be forced to choose
between an unsupported OS and apps or going the far cheaper PC route. Hell,
Internet Explorer is all but gone already for the Mac.