[muglo] Communicating with Windoze

  • From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:04:39 -0500

Probably like you, I regularly get MS Word and other word processer=20
documents from Windows users as attachments to emails, which present=20
problems in opening, reading or responding from a Mac.
Exe. files seem to be totally unopenable.   My usual response is to=20
request them to resend in RTF and attempt to open with Text Edit or=20
Appleworks'    This is a pain for them and me.

At the same time I'm not wishing to add to our new knight, Sir William=20=

Gate's fortunes by being forced into purchasing MS Word or Office for=20
the Mac,for which  dialog boxes requesting I buy always come up when=20
attempting to open Windows attachments.

Would be interested in hearing of others solutions to this problem of=20
communicating with the other 95% of the world !

Buy MacLink or similar translator  ?
Buy MS Word or Office?
Buy MS Entourage ? ( little use to me as a retiree)
some other work around ?

Ditto when sending attachments to them - just use the "Window friendly"=20=

  check box in the Mail programme?

Am I missing something simple here?

Any suggestions as to how you cope would be appreciated

Ilbert

And a final thought?   from WWW Walker's Wit ansd wisdom

=93That would defeat the purpose=94 - as the bookstore clerk replied to =
the=20
  customer query - "where's the Self Help section?"