[muglo] Re: ISPs

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:07:14 -0400

on 25/8/02 16:10, Eurogarth at eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Ditto, Eric, ditto!
>
> Even on it's slowest day (around 128KB/sec) my Rogers is faster than any
> dial-up! On a normal day (500-1200KB/sec) no contest, and I don't want to
> even tell you about the good and REAL good days!
>
> Best way I've found to check connection speed is the following link
>
> http://www.borderlineups.com/paclive.htm
>
> ...it's a traffic camera at a border crossing way out in BC on an
> independent network... click on the "live, normal size" and that's real-time
> traffic you're seeing. The jerkier the traffic the slower your speed.
>
> Eurogarth.

1200 KBytes/sec???? Holy smokes you connection must be smoking (I don't
think it's possible with cable ;).

I can't even get 1200 k/sec out of my T3 connection :( (cry me a river
Eric... I shouldn't complain ;) -- max theoretical throughput for everything
over a 10 BaseT connection at full blast (my hub is limiting factor) is 1280
KByte/sec (10 megabit/sec for 10 BaseT). You have to factor in at least 10%
overhead for TCP/IP and ethernet packets and you're down to ~1000 KByte/sec
at the theoretical max. I can only get my software to report megabyte/sec
range d/ls (>1024 KByte/sec) when transferring files from mcgill's ftp
server (ironically U of Ts own servers tend to max out at 400-600 K/sec on
big file transfers... I think the aerial photo server I use isn't a very
heavy duty web server :(

Fastest I ever saw on Rogers was 250-300 K/sec (burst) & 200 K/sec
(sustained) in London and 400 K/sec (burst) & 300 K/sec sustained (you can
watch live video with that) in Scarborough.

PS I don't know if this'll apply to you but on-line QuickTime streaming of
CBC Radio 2 is amazing! The quality of Radio 2 is as good (if not better)
than receiving it over the air (especially if you're in a poor reception
area). Radio 1 is passable for listening but by far not as crisp as Radio 2
on the web.

Eric.

I'll have to check out that web site. It's kind of cool... you can watch the
cars move realtime (& IE unfortunately re-loads the whole page each time so
it doesn't work... Chimera does it quite nicely... chimera.mozdev.org It's a
bare-bones browser based off the Mozilla display engine. It's fast, it's
simple, quite stable and doesn't have all the *crap* that Netscrape has
incorporated since version 4... & unfortunately for OS 9 users, it's OS
X-only).

With a bit of tweaking Chimera will produce a browser that can realistically
usurp IE 5.1 for OS 9 as the best Mac browser (&, dare I say so, best
browser on *any* platform) (the OS X version of IE 5.2 is a stability
downgrade from OS X IE 5.1.5)... IE 5.1 for OS 9 is the best all-round
browser for the Mac that ever was (sorry Netscape fans... I've compared them
all and it's the all-round winner... it's SMALL, its RAM footprint is *tiny*
compared to *all* versions of Netscape/Mozilla (even with 576 MB of RAM
Netscrape 4.7.9/6.2.3 have caused memory problems), it is *much* more stable
than Netscape 6.2.3/Mozilla (& even more stable than 4.7.9) (though, for
simple web browsing 4.7.9 holds up Ok), its interface is hands down more
refined (command-click to move windows anyone, command-b to show/hide
toolbars, command-~ to cycle through windows... I think that the Mozilla
coders are avoiding command-click to move windows simply because it was a
Micro$oft innovation and they don't want to admit that M$ did something
amazingly right), it has a history that WORKS (in 10 years Netscape failed
to create a functioning history)). PS Opera does a good job of being a
top-notch OS 9 browser too (their OS X version needs some work to bring it
out of beta status) -- small, fast, stable, run circles around
Netscrape/Mozilla for RAM requirements, has all the good stuff of M$ IE,
*and* has very easy turn-on/turn-off/show-loaded of images (especially
useful if you're suffering with dial-up internet access).

(though, IE 5.5 for Winblows is pretty damn good (perhaps the best browser
on any platform) too... on a PI/166 Win 95 it regularly (more often than
not) out-performs *all* the browsers on my G3/450 (I like/demand INSTANT
web-page display, none of this spinning beach ball/spinning cursor crap we
get with Mac OS), in both OS 9 and OS X (why would a slow Pentium running
Win 95 and IE 5.5 perform better than a computer 4x as fast and with 14 x
the amount of RAM (576 vs 40)).

The *one* thing that Chimera needs is command-click to move the window
around... if it gets that it'll become my default browser post-haste (& it's
only at v 0.40... when it gets command-click it'll be ready to be used as a
real web browser).

Eric.

<oops... too much procrastinating and ranting me thinks>

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>