[muglo] Re: ISPs

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:51:31 -0400

> If I had to choose between dial-up or one of the "faster" choices I would go
> with the faster choice, every time. Even Symcrapico's low-speed edition is
> markedly faster than dialup, and, usually comes with fewer headaches (I've
> never had anything but headaches with dial-up)... for me Rogers worked
> pretty much flawlessly & up-time was quite good on the whole (I can't stand
> their corporate attitude towards customers but I've always found their tech
> support capable of dealing with my problems... though, that hasn't been
> everyone's experience with their techies ;).

Unless you are into some really big downloads and need the "extra" speed of
Rogers, Sympatico does just fine. I have been with them for 2-3 years and have
had no real problems. Any time I've used their tech support (3 times I think)
they have been OK even though I'm a Mac user. The best thing to do with
Sympatico is to get a router and avoid all problems with their Access Manager.
I recently moved and they said it would take 3 days to get service - I had it
the same day and the only reason I know was that I set up my computers and was
about to "dial in" when everything started coming in.

I know everyone has been railing against monopolies however sometimes there are
just too many choices with too many sub choices after you sub chose something
else I really wonder if you are getting a better deal.

I looked at cable - haven't had a TV in 12 years and dammed if I was going to
pay an extra $150 for them to install it just because I didn't have it and all I
wanted was the internet connection.

With all the dot.com meltdowns us Canadians are still paying less for "high"
speed compared to our southern friends ($45 Cdn is a lot less than $45 US).

But that may be mute as my brother-in-law likes to say the net cost is still the
same it is just that the dollars are different.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>