[muglo] Re: Cellpadding... and now Apple Mail

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:00:26 -0500

on 5/11/02 15:50, DunbarS at DunbarS@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Tee Cashmore wrote:
>
>> I use Netscape because it's convenient, it works;
>> notwithstanding the negative comments from Eric D <G>;, it's not made,
>> or controlled, by Microsoft and I prefer "all-in-one" programmes.
>> TTFN,
>> TeeC
>>

> Hi there Tee:
>
> Yupper Eric D is prolly rather busy now ... but he still hasn't been able
> to persuade his aunt (me) to not use Netscape.
>
> I don't like Apple mail that much myself, as it opens attachments and then
> I don't know how to save them ... any help with saving mail attachments
> with the Apple Mail program would be appreciated if anyone has any
> thoughts please and thanks.
>
> Susan

<chuckle> I'm baaack. (was somehow unsubscribed)

The only use I have for Netscape is as a baseline for what defines horrible
stability.

I *keep* downloading the latest version(s) of Netscape (and Mozilla) in the
hopes of finding  one that actually is more stable (and has a better
interface) than Opera 5.0, iCab 2.8.2, Internet Explorer 5.1, and OmniWeb 4.

I still think that the slickest browser I use is IE 5.5 under Windows 95, on
a Pentium/166 with 40 MB of RAM (1/4 the speed, 1/15th the RAM of my G3/450
and it performs *as well*, if not better than my G3/450 (in OS 9, OS X is
starting to get close to beating it though)).

I should warn you all away from Netscape 4.8. I d/l it and what did it do?
Mucked up my internet preferences and corrupted things to boot, all after
running it for a scant 5 minutes and having it freeze my system (OS 9.2.2
rarely, if ever freezes on me completely) solid. Oh, one more thing it did:
it didn't even bother asking me if it was to be set as the default
e-mailer/web browser/HOME PAGE (really irritating) but just went ahead and
did so anyway (maybe it knows it can't *handle* my home page (it doesn't
seem capable of doing local files) and that's why it decided to substitute
;).

I've given up on NS 6.2.3 (I had too many crashes, especially in the OS X
version) and Mozilla, well, Mozilla is definitely a beast!!!

PS NS 7.0 is on par with 6.2.3 -- it's as unstable, and the interface is
patently un-Maclike (unlike M$ Internet Explorer, iCab, Opera, OmniWeb, and
Chimera)!

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>