[GeoStL] Re: Thanks

  • From: "Jeff the Blue Bead Man" <bluebeadman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:09:27 -0500

-
Brad welcome!  This certainly can be an addicting hobby/sport!  I am a Magellan
user myself and in addition to all of the great hints and comments made by some
of the others, I would just make one more comment to clog your brain.  The
Magellans seem to have several "undocumented" features built into them.  For
example,  many of the St. Louis caches ask cache hunters to make a
"projection."  Now you can search that Magellan manual from cover to cover and
NOT find anything about how to do a projection.  It is just not documented, but
it is there in the Magellan GPS unit.  Go to the screen which shows the current
latitude / longitude and press the "Menu" key.  The "Projection" option will be
the third or fourth option on the menu, but it only appears on the menu for the
current location screen.  Furthermore, there are more undocumented tricks when
trying to create the projection.  For instance, there are weird undocumented
ways to switch from miles to feet, etc.  Thanks to Tim of Tim, Pam, & Molly for
letting ME know about these undocumented tricks.
SOO...   It is not really important to remember all of the tricks right now,
just know that the Magellan unit can do just about anything you need it to do,
and if you come across something which you don't understand or know how to do,
don't be afraid to ask these SLAGA guys.  They really do know about GPS units
and geocaching.  I am amazed at how much I learn each time I cache with them!

Subject field