[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating as a totally blind person

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:49:29 -0500

Hi, Monica. You're asking a good question. Did you know that most of us, probably about 90 percent, are blind just like you? We don't need the print book to validate, though that can certainly help if it's an option. A validater checks the book for completion and reads the book to catch the errors he or she can find. In the best possible scenario, the submitter and validater work together so that if there is an error somewhere, they can fix it. Sometimes you don't know who the submitter is though, and you just do your best to fix the errors. If you haven't done any validating, Monica, you might consider looking for books by some of our submitters that do proofread their scans since they are easier to validate. Mayrie Renae, Jamie Yates, Jim Baugh, Shelley Rhodes, and Louise Gourdoux are just some examples of such submitters. This isn't an exhaustive list by any means. We have too many great submitters for me to give you that kind of list. (smile) The people I've mentioned in this post are people who are easy to find if you have questions and consistently submit scans that are easy to validate. Working on their books gives you a chance to get comfortable with the process of validating. I think you'll find that it's easier than it sounds, and it can be a lot of fun when you take books you'd like to read anyway. We're here to help you if you get stuck, and I'm sure you'll do a fine job.

Monica Willyard

Monica Svopa wrote:
Hello to all. I probably shouldn't ask this question but I wasn't sure how to proceed. I was wondering how I as a blind individual could validate a book correctly. Since I can't read the print book, I wouldn't want there to be any mistakes. Do you have any suggestions as to how y'all do this? Thanks for your help. I don't validate or scan much but I'd like to do some. Sometimes books peak my interest but I hesitated because I wasn't sure how to handle it. Thanks. Monica Svopa