[bksvol-discuss] Re: txt page breaks redux

  • From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:32:07 -0600

Mike,

    I agree with you about not imposing standards. I disagree, however, that
a user necessarily knows what to expect, when downloading a Fair book. The
criterion for Fair is, "Many errors, but legible throughout". At least in
validating, my experience has been that Fair-rated books can have many
passages that are completely unreadable. A new user might not realize that,
and could get a bad impression about Bookshare. I've talked to people who
have become disgusted, even with the number of errors in so-called Excellent
books--let alone Fair ones.

    This is only my opinion, and I realize this has already been discussed,
but I wish Bookshare would do away with the Fair category altogether. With
such good software available now, I don't think we should settle for books
that leave readers guessing about half the content.

    Just my 2 cents. Paula