[bksvol-discuss] Re: txt page breaks redux

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:27:42 -0600

Cindy,
I honestly think you can't generalize with respect to limiting the excellent
rating to only those books that have been "read" by a validator. Its certainly
true that a spell checker can't catch errors that aren't there, such
as missing words, and its also true that correct words can still be the wrong
words, and a spell checker won't catch them either. But my experience with that
is that while spell checking, you're going to see other errors
that are typical of brightness issues that will be the cause of things like he
for be, lie for he etc, and you can then check more thoroughly and root at
least some of that stuff out before submitting. Its undoubtedly true
that some things will inevitibly slip past any method of proofing that doesn't
include a literal reading from cover to cover. But its a question of time. How
many errors are eliminated from a carefully spell checked and
cleaned book when you read it from cover to cover?  With respect to a book with
lots of missing words, isn't it usually the case that there are also plenty of
fragmented words, and those should be seen when spell
checking and may alert one to a serious problem, perhaps because the book
wasn't flat enough, or the bottoms of pages got cut off when scanning or
whatever. I guess my point is that there is a lot more than simply
correcting the specific errors that can come out of a thorough spell check, and
I know its possible to produce excellent quality texts without reading them
from start to finish before submitting them.
mary