[bksvol-discuss] Re: reading a book rated fair

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:08:51 -0500

Please do not work with it as a .brf file. This is particularly important. Braillenote has a translation table. All translation tables for .brf are not the same. You will not end up fixing the book in generalbut will instead fix only the .brf copy and subject it to the particular braillenote translation program. As a long time braillenote user, I think this can lead to back translation trouble.

I suggest that instead of editing the brf file you do the following:

first download the html file. Open it in word and save as an rtf file. Move that file to your braillenote being sure to keep the backup rtf on your computer. Edit the rtf file. You will be able to read it in grade two braille. Any word you want to fix will be expanded into grade one and you will therefore be able to fix it. Save the file using space e (chord e) and answering no when it asks if you want to save it as a keyword file.

When you upload the fixed .rtf as a new submission, bookshare will be able to use that .rtf to fix both the daisy formats and the brf formats to make both copies of the book better.

Feel free to write me if you have further questions.

E.