[bksvol-discuss] Re: editing books you are not necessarily interested in reading

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:57:02 -0500

Hi, Jim. I both scan and validate books, and I've developed a way to sort of have my cake and eat it too. I make a little game out of my validating work in that I take one book that doesn't interest me each month, letting myself work on other books that I really like the rest of the time. With the book I'm not interested in, I reward myself for every 15 pages validated, giving myself little treats like some M&M's, a cup of hot cocoa, or half an hour with some good music on my porch swing with absolutely no interruptions. Not only that, but I give myself a bigger treat for actually finishing the project. My last treat was a $10 pair of Sony earclips which are earbuds that hook onto your ears sort of like how sunglasses do. They're awesome for bopping around the house with my Book Port because they don't slip around or fall out of my ears. After working on one of Dr. Cross's really big books that was over 1,000 pages, I treated myself to a head-to-toe 1 hour massage. After a book about sociology, I bought myself a raspberry bath spa set and got my daughter to give me a pedicure. Breaking the book into little chunks like that and making it a game helps me get through it with a good attitude. So Bookshare wins, and I do too. (smile) I think it's fun to play games when everybody wins. Sometimes, the books I take end up being interesting, and that's when I win even more.

Monica Willyard

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I don't scan. I validate, but sometimes feel guilty when I see books I know
have been out there waiting for someone to read for a while. Does anyone
have advice for validators about this. I usually like to read the books I
validate all the way through. It helps to be interested in them.

Jim