[bksvol-discuss] Re: editing books you are not necessarily interested in reading

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:24:00 -0500

Hi, Amber. When I scan a book from the wish list that I really don't want to read, I strip headers, run it through rank spelling, and do a search and replace on two scannos. I check for the word die where the word the should be. I also check for a 1 where the letter I should be, searching for a space, the number 1, and another space in the search box. The reason I do this is that these two scannos often alert me to trouble spots in my scan that need a little TLC. Once these things are done, I save and submit the book. I put my email address in the comments field so the validater knows how to contact me in case a page needs to be rescanned or something. If it's not a library book, I hold onto the print copy until the book is approved, just in case the validater needs help with something. Finally, whenever possible, I get the person who made the book request to validate the book because they will read it all the way through since they're the person who wanted it in the first place.

There are people here who would never consider submitting a book unless they read every word. As you can see, I'm not in that camp. I know myself well enough to know that if I scanned a book I'm not interested in and had a rule about reading every word, I'd procrastinate to the inth degree! People would be waiting for that book in the year 2070. (smile)

Monica Willyard

Amber Wallenstein wrote:
How do those of you who scan books for the wish list for example, but you might not be interested in reading yourself, how do you make the copy as good as you possibly can? So far, I have been removing page headers, and protecting chapter and page headings, but since I want a really good copy, should I just read through the books even if they don't necessarily interest me? If this helps, I have access to Kurzweil, and MS word as well as a Braille display for reading. I am also running windows XP Home.
Thanks.
Amber