[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Re: can't sign in

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:40:43 -0500

Kaitlyn,
I have a radical suggestion for you. :-) No guarantee that it is a good idea that would work for you. I throw it out there to get people thinking about what can be done in the way of customizing computers if you put your mind to it.

Windows allows you to put many of your system folders absolutely anywhere you want them as long as you follow the correct procedure for moving them. I have Windows Xp on drive E, Windows 98 on drive C, and all my data on drive D. If you only wanted to cary arround your "my documents" folder from computer to computer and you didn't need to share the computer with other people, you could move your "my documents folder to a thumb drive on each of your computers. You'd just have to remember to always plug it in first thing when you went to another computer. In case you plugged the drive in to someone else's computer you wouldn't mess their settings up, but you would have to remember that dumping something to my documents wouldn't put it on the drive you intended so you would have to browse for the thumb drive.

I know this can be done with the whole documents and settings folder in Xp, but I haven't tried that, so I am not comfortable with giving directions. There is software that can manage it as well. I would have directed you to the Tech TV site for the answer to your question, but the most helpful show has disappeared and it's page probably has, too. I can imagine a lot of potential problems with the approach of moving the whole documents and settings folder just because some of it could be specific to one computer, but it evidently can work for some people. If it were me I would make a new user on my home computer and give that user all the settings I would want to cary arround. That would be much safer than trying to use the admin's settings for all other computers.

Let me know if you want directions for moving individual system folders to new locations. The Xp help is actually of some use in this case as well. Isn't that amazing!

I also know how to move settings and data for some software around.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity