[AR] Re: airbreathing engines (was Re: Re: to the stars, soon)

  • From: qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 21:23:23 -0600

You are correct in that the fan does not compress the air, and if you read the statement I made I never said it was compressing the air. To put it more precisely, without all those blades the airflow would not be controlled enough to get high efficiency out of the compressor stages.

Robert

At 07:33 PM 4/3/2016, you wrote:

You aren't trying to compress much at all with the main fan, just move air.

There is a whole bunch of compressor stage equipment behind the fan, after the airflow is split, handling all that. Usually on entirely different spools on modern engines.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone