[AR] Re: Russian-language Technical Books

  • From: Alexander Ponomarenko <contact@xxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:07:12 +0200

Just to follow-up the topic.

A while back, I had a conversation with similar subject about the
Russian textbooks.
Here is one of my answers that can be relevant to actual subject:

On 06/15/2014, Alexander Ponomarenko wrote:

> You seem to particulary like M.V. Dobrovoslky and A. Vasilyev books.
> What is your opinion about E.V. Volkov, Gahun and V.E. Alemasov?

Well, because there are so many books in Russian on rocket propulsion,
many of them are specialized, focusing on some specific topic.

Alemasov's book is a good in-depth introduction in theory of rocket
propulsion. By the way, there is a pretty good alternative which is
available right now on ozon.ru:
http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/24699944/

Gahun's book is a good introduction in design of LPRE, covering
mechanical layout, mechanical loads, etc. It does not covers design and
analysis of LPRE which is usually preceding the mechanical design (e.g.
thermodynamic and thermal analysis, analysis of turbopump units, etc).

There are other specialized books, such us: very good book on theory and
analysis of turbopumps by Ovsyanikov (Ovsyanikov B. V., Borovsky B. I.,
Theory and analysis of power units for liquid rocket engine), good books
on theory of automatic control of LPRE by Glikman or Beljaev, books on
static and dynamic analysis of LPRE and propulsion systems by Volkov,
books on manufacturing of LPRE by Moiseev or Vorobey (the last book is
available on ozon.ru: http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/3187136/ ),
etc.

To the contrary, Dobrovoslky and Vasilyev books are "all-in-one"
textbooks with good balance between introduction into the theory and
description of practical methods for analysis and design of LPREs.

The book about LPRE design by Volkov is as well an "all-in-one"
textbook, but a bit (too) outdated. But this book is still interesting
source of information in terms of how rocket engines had been designed
in USSR in 1950-s and 1960-s.

By the way, the Dobrovoslky's book published in 2005 contains a number
of mistakes which were not available in previous edition published in 1968.

> However, I realized that alib.ru doesn't offer secured payment
> service. I must personnaly deal with the seller. It seems that
> Russian is several year late from United States for e-commerce.
> So what is your experience about the reliability of Russian online
bookshops?
> Here, in North American, Russian websites don't have very good reputation.

ozon.ru (two links to LPRE books are provided in this e-mail) accepts
credit cards and PayPal, shipping books world-wide. The shop is
reliable: I used to buy few books there with delivery to Germany.

alib.ru is used primarily in Russia, utilizing the service "cash on
delivery" provided by Russian Post. Actually, this is very reliable
service within the Russia. But I assume that delivery abroad of Russia
will require advance payment via bank transfer. If you really want hard
copy of the book, you better contact the seller to get all details.

Best regards,
Alexander