[AR] Re: Orion Abort Test Failure...

  • From: J Farmer <jfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 02:25:27 -0400

On 7/8/2019 11:15 PM, Anton de Winter wrote:

John, agreed he could totally ignore it.  But you are also willfully ignoring his other point: his (potentially bad?) advice affects other people who may not know better.  Perhaps that is why Christopher is advocating for moderation here.

On the other hand, Craig seems to imply that once you turn 18 or 21 you don't deserve the expectation of good/safe advice and it's on you to do your own research.  To me it reads more like him covering his own mild trolling... but to each his own.

Anton,

Your last paragraph is the literal truth of _anything_ you read here on Arocket, any other mailing list, or forum.  Despite the wealth of knowledge presented by the members of this list, anything said by anyone here is _insufficient _in_and_of_itself_ to build a rocket motor or airframe, or start a business, or....

There are posters here that have forgotten more about building rockets, motors, airframes, avionics, aerospace companies, etc. than most of us will ever know.  (Bill Claybaugh, Tony Cesaroni, Henry Spencer are just the first that I plucked off my in-basket as examples...)   If they offer me advice on a problem, I'm going to listen, but it is my responsibility to understand the advice and decide if it is applicable to my problem.

You mentioned the 18 to 21 year old break point, I'm assuming you meant in respect to offering advice to students and such.  The same point applies, Arocket is head and shoulders above Wikipedia articles, but the same "Доверяй, но проверяй; Doveryai, no proveryai  (/Trust, but verify/ ) approach has to be used.  The same my wife the Biology Professor taught her students, the same I teach my fencing students (just because you saw some on YouTube doesn't mean it's good or even real...).

Does that mean Craig's suggestions are worthless?  Or should be followed blindly?  What about neither?  Does that mean that we turn out the ones that present what appears to be crazy ideas or bad advice?  What about addressing their points with data, math, logic, experience?   Sounds weird, right?  It's worked for 20 years...

John