[AR] Re: Orion Abort Test Failure...

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 20:02:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019, dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The Orion shape is based on the Apollo shape with small changes.  The center of gravity is also similar.  Thus it has many of the characteristics of Apollo capsule.  I’m sure I can find some tumbling Apollo capsule footage...

The Apollo escape system was deliberately designed to take the spacecraft off to one side, rather than straight up -- you don't want to drop it back into the fireball of an exploding booster! So it did induce a bit of rotation for that reason.

Moreover, there was another reason: a high-altitude escape meant reentry before chute deployment... and even with the escape tower still attached and its canards deployed, the capsule was weakly stable nose-first. The escape system *deliberately* produced a slow tumble (and a later abort using the SM engine would have been immediately followed by a thruster firing to produce such a tumble) to ensure that the capsule would stabilize only base-first.