[AR] Re: Falcon 9 flight today

  • From: JMKrell@xxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 02:57:18 -0400 (EDT)

No, the data was never published. I was finishing a paper  on controlling
gas flow under Knudsen conditions for ion  implanters that was published and
did not have time to continue the experiments.  I find it unusual that there
is little information on RP-1 behavior under  extreme conditions.

In a message dated 10/8/2013 4:00:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On Tue,  8 Oct 2013 JMKrell@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > The vapor pressure of RP-1  isn't large by Earth standards, but it's
> > still substantial by  vacuum standards.  The RP-1 won't stay in the
> > tank, although  it may leave a bit of residue behind.
>
> Henry, I agree with  99.9% of what you post, but on this I must go with
> my empirical data.  Some RP-1 is expelled during the venting of the RP-1
> tank.  The  rest quickly gels and solidifies within the tank.  Frozen
> fluids  under high vacuum transfer mainly between hot and cold
> junctions...  Most of the RP-1 remains a solid until the vehicle reenters
> the  atmosphere.

Is that empirical data published?  If so, references  please!  I have
trouble believing that the solid would be stable in  vacuum for any length
of time, unless the thermal situation was very  unusual.

Henry  Spencer
henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
(regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)