[AR] Re: Canada - legal engine testing?

  • From: "Marcus D. Leech" <mleech@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 22:14:22 -0500

On 11/12/2013 10:08 PM, Ian Woollard wrote:
Are NAR regulations legally binding if you're not a member??? That would be... odd.

You can own/fire/test anything that doesn't fit under the explosives act.

Actually *flying* said motor in a vehicle--that's a different matter.

ERD--who regulate explosives in Canada, don't consider hybrids and liquid bi-propellant motors to fit under the explosives act.

Now, there *are* other regulations, such as the boilers and pressure-vessels regs, but they are a lot murkier, and don't apply to
  "scientific apparatus".

On 13 November 2013 02:41, <qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Essentially it is not legal to own or fire a "none commercial
    rocket motor."

    Some where there is a NAR regulation that say it's illegal to
    manufacture a device that creates a gas at anything but
    atmospheric pressure without proper authorization.

    Robert

    Robert

    At 03:57 PM 11/12/2013, you wrote:

        A friend of mine recently mentioned that the legal environment
        in Canada is such that one can't test small amateur engines -
        liquid fuel, for example.

        That's not something which I though is the case, so I'd be
        glad if somebody, who may have more information, would give
        some details.

        Alexander

--
-Ian Woollard