[AR] Re: Canada - legal engine testing?

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:02:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Marcus Leech wrote:
> High-test peroxide I think was recently moved on to a "controlled goods"
> list, because it can be used to make organic peroxides, which are high
> explosives.  Similarly for nitric acid (because it is a known-precursor
> to nitrated-organics high-explosives).

I'd never checked into the details of this, and got curious...  Turns out
that the magic phase to feed into Google is not "Controlled Goods" but
"Restricted Components".  As you might suspect from that terminology (and
as Marcus indicated), the R.C. regulations are not about rocketry, but
about illicit explosives manufacturing.  In fact, they're very nearly
entirely about ammonium nitrate, because of its known popularity for that
purpose:  there is a long section of rules specifically for AN, and a
rather shorter section for other things.

The full list of RCs is:

        ammonium nitrate (solid)
        hydrogen peroxide, 30% and up
        nitromethane
        potassium chlorate, perchlorate, and nitrate
        sodium chlorate and nitrate (solids)
        nitric acid, 68% and up

No, AP is not on the list.  Mixtures etc. aren't, only pure chemicals.
Why some things are explicitly covered only as solids is not clear.

The regulations are mostly about being a *dealer*, selling these things.
Dealers have to register, and have to do security, inventory control, etc.
They can lose their registration for repeated violations of the rules, or
for "jeopardizing the safety of the public".  (I suspect these rules are
basically cloned from explosives-dealer rules, but haven't checked that.)

For end users, if you're not a government agency, hospital, or
post-secondary educational institution, and you are *not* buying the
stuff as an explosive, and you want more than a threshold quantity
(mostly on the liter/kg level), you have to:

(a) show government-issued photo ID, or proof of Controlled Goods
  registration, or proof of business registration
(b) provide contact info
(c) say what you'll use the stuff for

That's all -- no registration or permit required (unless you're going to
use the stuff as an explosive, in which case the explosives rules apply).

If the dealer has "reasonable grounds to suspect that the restricted
component will be used for a criminal purpose", he is required to refuse
to sell, and to promptly report the refusal to the authorities.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)