[AR] Re: Canada - legal engine testing?

  • From: <johndom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:49:09 +0100

Lectuur voor Benny's specialiteit...

John
Henry Spencer wrote on 181113:

 > I'd never checked into the details of this, and got curious...  Turns out

that the magic phase to feed into Google is not "Controlled Goods" but
"Restricted Components".  As you might suspect from that terminology (and
as Marcus indicated), the R.C. regulations are not about rocketry, but
about illicit explosives manufacturing.  In fact, they're very nearly
entirely about ammonium nitrate, because of its known popularity for that
purpose:  there is a long section of rules specifically for AN, and a
rather shorter section for other things.

> The full list of RCs is:

        ammonium nitrate (solid)
        hydrogen peroxide, 30% and up
        nitromethane
        potassium chlorate, perchlorate, and nitrate
        sodium chlorate and nitrate (solids)
        nitric acid, 68% and up

> No, AP is not on the list.  Mixtures etc. aren't, only pure chemicals.
Why some things are explicitly covered only as solids is not clear.

Odd potassium chlorate/perchlorate are considered innocent.

Of course some bigwig chemist can explain to me why ammonium is the culprit.
Potassium per/chlorate do absolutely love sugar to go bang with.

jd