[AR] Re: Bipropellant solid

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:12:42 -0500

Good finds on the patent application. Based on the correlation between
the length of a chemical's name and its price on Sigma Aldrich, I
wonder how much that little model rocket cost in propellant. Another
patent says that all you have to do is oxidize 3-amino-1,2,4-triazole
to form 3,3'-azo-1,2,4-triazole, nitrate that, and viola,
5,5′-dinitro-3,3′azo-1,2,4-triazole.

That is one of the most impressive patent claims I've seen in years.
If they actually own the entire field of solid bipropellant rockets
that will be quite a feat.