[AR] Re: Bipropellant solid

  • From: "Stephen Burns" <stephen.burns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:24:06 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ben Brockert
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2014 11:13 AM
To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AR] Re: Bipropellant solid

>Good finds on the patent application. Based on the correlation between the
>length of a chemical's name and its price on Sigma Aldrich, I
>wonder how much that little model rocket cost in propellant. Another patent
>says that all you have to do is oxidize 3-amino-1,2,4-triazole to
>form 3,3'-azo-1,2,4-triazole, nitrate that, and viola,
>5,5′-dinitro-3,3′azo-1,2,4-triazole.

>That is one of the most impressive patent claims I've seen in years.
>If they actually own the entire field of solid bipropellant rockets that will
>be quite a feat.

There is some prior art in the field.  US 3429265 A from 1960 for example.

Also CA 2367192 A1 from 2002 by inventors Anthony J. Cesaroni, Michael J.
Dennett, Jeroen Louwers

There seems to be a distinct lack of reference to Prior Art in modern patents.
Have they dropped that criteria so I can patent the wheel now?

Cheers,
Burnsie.