[procps] Re: top / procps-ng-3.3.7 - no screen cleaning at exit?

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 03:37:24 -0500

On May 16, 2013, at 6:00 AM, Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I haven't analysed that yet. I only tested 'mc' and it behaves
> differently when running inside/outside the 'screen' session.
> If it runs outside, then I get the previous terminal state.
> If it runs inside, the screen is cleaned and the cursor is
> at the bottom of the terminal window. Maybe a similar behaviour
> could be achieved? Don't know ...

Hi Jaromir,

Now that Craig has pushed my previous pending patches, I hope you'll push the
attached the top 'screen' accommodation patch.

Afterward, you might wish to file some bug reports for the following.

1) At least one Fedora /etc/screenrc default should be changed.  If 'altscreen
on' had been enabled (or added to any $HOME/.screenrc), then the top
"corruption" that began this odyssey would never have occurred.  Even though
top is now immune, there might be other programs relying on a proper rmcup
response.

2) Cursor directives are not always honored by screen.  While running top
outside of and then under screen, watch the cursor visibility during this
sequence:
        . 'h'   (for help)
        . ^Z    (suspend)
        . fg    (resume)

3) The Fedora-18 manipulation of a terminal title when using screen is a nice
enhancement.  But if the original title can't be restored upon screen exit, a
better choice for the supplied termcapinfo 'ds' literal might be 'screen ended'
rather than the current 'screen'.  As it is, if a user concludes a screen
session was still active, upon exit they'll lose the entire tty.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jim