[procps] Re: top / procps-ng-3.3.7 - no screen cleaning at exit?

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 11:31:50 -0500

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 10:41 -0400, Jaromir Capik wrote:
> Jim, I have a question. I just read a new bug report where
> my colleague Pete Zaitcev found a behavior difference
> when exiting top.
>
> With 3.3.7, the top command executed in the 'screen' session
> doesn't clean the terminal window when you exit with Q
> and the cursor stays at the top of the window.
> Pete says the issue was not present in 3.3.6 and older.
> Are you aware of any change in the 'top' sources that could
> cause such behaviour?

Hi Stranger,

If I'm interpreting the bug report and your experiences correctly, this
all stems from the following, which was the culmination of several
previous commits.  The commit message acknowledges the behavior I think
you're experiencing.
commit dedaf6e1a81738ff08ee8e8523871e12f555ad6d

You see, I used to have a buddy over in the Czech Republic and he
insisted on two requirements: 1) preserve the user's context even when
signaled; 2) reduce SIGWINCH impact under some distros.

We began a lengthy series of posts around this time.
//www.freelists.org/post/procps/top-won-the-sigwinch-war

Unless I'm mistaken, when exiting top the only time there is display
"corruption" is when one has resized the terminal after starting top.
And for that you must thank your terminal emulator.

Are we good?

Regards,
Jim