[optacon-l] Re: open source and open design for the optacon

  • From: Hasbarah <hasbarah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:21:05 +0100

Mary,and list,

I left IBM in 1989, when my sonwas born. I worked there for ten years
as a translator, and I sued two types of typewriter lenses, and then
a crt module. I still have the Selectriclens, which I'd happily
donate to anyone that might want it, and two crt lenses, which I
still use occasionally.
I read on this list, before my computer crashed and died on me, that
someone reads new lcd displays with the regular Optacon camera...
Is that right, or did I misunderstand the message?
I don't remember who it was that wrote about it.
If that's the case, do you keep the screen upright, or do you place
it horizontally, face up, as if you were reading from a sheet of paper?

Oh, by the way, I also read music with my Optacon... I sometimes scan
books for my friends, and use my Optacon to edit them.
It would be so wonderful to be able to come up with a new Optacon!

One more notation: I have read a lot of messages where people state
that reading with the Optacon is slow. I don't find that. I read
about 2-30 apges per hour, which I think is a fair speed... I haven't
counted words per minutes, because I noticed that whenever I tried, I
just got mixed up...
But pages per hour is a fair measuring criterion...
That's measured on English,  which is the language I'm most used to
reading with the Optacon. IN IBM I used to translate from English
into Italian and, although Italian is my native language, I read
English all day, so I got used to it and read it faster.

A special greeting to all former IBMers on the list!
Ciao,
Ollie