[optacon-l] Re: We need your help in tactile display design

  • From: "Mark Blier" <mblier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:23:29 -0700

Jim,

Parameters requested:

Minimum useful intensity = 6.
Intensity used most = 8+.
Maximum useful intensity = 10.

Mark Blier

<--->

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Bliss" <jamescbliss@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 12:25 PM
Subject: [optacon-l] We need your help in tactile display design

Optacon Users
I am working with a group at Zone 24X7 and SRI that has a National Science
Foundation (NSF) Small Business Innovation Research Grant (SBIR) to evaluate
the feasibility of a totally different technology in tactile displays.   We
don't know to what extent this technology will be useful in a new Optacon,
but if it is, it has the potential of greatly reducing the cost of the
Optacon array.  We are only at the beginning of this research and we would
like your help in determining the range of tactile stimulator intensity
needed.

Imagine that the Optacon Intensity knob had a scale from 0 to 10, with 0
being the current Optacon's minimum intensity and 10 being the maximum
intensity.  Now estimate where along this scale you like to read with the
Optacon.   If you set the knob half way between minimum and maximum, your
answer would be 5, if you set the knob 80% of the way from minimum to
maximum, your answer would be 8, and so on.  Also it would be useful for us
to know for each of you what level is too intense, and what the minimum
usable level is.

I would like to you to email your answer back to me to with these three
numbers:

Minimum useful intensity: ______

The intensity you use most: ______

Maximum useful intensity: ______.

I hope to get 50 or more responses from this listserv.  I'll report the
results of this survey back to the listserv.   Thanks for your help.

Jim Bliss